Tuesday 11 October 2016

GARDEN EGG STEW FOR RICE, I SPENT 700 NAIRA ONLY

As we wait for tomatoes to become more affordable, Nigerians are searching and discovering other ways of cooking delicious stews... Shayor's garden egg stew got trending on the blog yesterday, I had
to visit it, then remembered I didn't get to try it after she posted. So, with 700 Naira, I got what I needed and cooked this stew but with a little twist because I did not remove the garden egg
skin after boiling, added crayfish and I actually added a little canned tomatoes too. It tasted really really really good, very pocket friendly too. Try it and share feedback with us pleaeaeaeaease.


Garden eggs bought for 100 Naira

Fish for 600 Naira

Boiling fish with just water, onion and salt
INGREDIENTS:

100 Naira garden eggs
600 Naira mackerel
vegetable oil
onion
salt
bouillon seasoning cubes (You can use maggi, knorr or your seasoning cube of choice.
fresh pepper (I used my pepper sauce from the fridge)
2 spoons of ground crayfish
1 dessert spoonful tomato paste ( If you have tasty tom canned tomatoes, use it)
Water of course


Garden egg in a food processor, can also be pounded with mortar and pestle
COOKING PROCEDURE:
First I washed and boiled the garden eggs till soft, boiled fish too with salt and onions while garden eggs are boiling in a different pot. The soft garden eggs are then blended in a food processor (a mortar can pound too), and then added to the fry pan already cooking hot with onions, pepper, seasoning and crayfish.

The egg plants fry for about 3 minutes or until you are satisfied with the fried taste. When I tasted and it's ok by me, I added the tomato paste already mixed with some water and let it cook for about 3 minutes again or till you are satisfied with the taste. The deboned boiled fish is added at this time, stock too (You can add all the stock or just enough not to have watery stew). Let the pot boil, check for taste, salt and seasoning. Satisfied with the stew, I served with boiled rice. Can be served with boiled yam or plantain too.


Frying onion, fresh pepper, seasoning and crayfish. Stir often as you fry, don't let it burn.


Just added the garden eggs


Garden eggs frying with other ingredients


One dessert spoonful tomato paste

Adding the tomato paste, let it boil for a while, stir and boil till satisfied with the taste.


Adding boiled and deboned mackerel . I didn't add fish head because of bones


Adding the fish stock


Scooping out my baby's stew before adding more pepper


Nigerian garden egg stew ready to serve


Meat can be used to cook this stew ,in place of fish


Cook garden egg stew with just crayfish if there's no fish, it will still turn out delicious if the quantity is not too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment