Sunday 9 October 2016

HOW TO MAKE NIGERIAN CHICKEN SHAWARMA


Shawarma is an Arab meat preparation, where mixed meats are placed ina spit to grill for as long as a whole day. With senegalese breads, mixture of meats and vegetables, we get the type sold in Nigeria.I have succeeded in making this chicken shawarma so so Nigerian by removing what I can't eat and
just leaving what I know I'll love to taste and it's great. I would have loved to add green pepper but some of my girls don't like it and can;t stand much pepper. I thoroughly enjoyed it because it turned out exactly like that shawarma you buy once and keep returning every weekend for more. There is a shawarma recipe on the blog but it's not the exact same thing. That shawarma was made with Naan bread but here I used the real pitta bread for shawarma. That one was made with beef and chicken whereas this is just chicken shawarma. Very very easy to make.


INGREDIENTS:

Pitta bread
Cabbage
Onion
Sausages
Chicken
Tomato ketchup
Pepper
Mayonnaise ( If you have heinz salad cream, add a little bit to the mayonnaise and you'll love it.
Water


Boiling chicken with salt and onion


This little quantity shredded chicken, sausages and vegetables produced 4 shawarmas


Mixing only vegetables with ketchup and mayo


Add caption

Scooping into opened pitta bread for wrapping





This is the first wrap that bursted as shown in the pic below. I closed the sandwich maker tightly and when it got very hot, the shawarma bursted open with flavour and aroma


See it?


The last three shawarmas were made like this, with the sandwich maker left open


Ready for big bites


Spilling flavours from the chicken and everything in there.

COOKING DIRECTION:
First I boiled a few pieces of chicken and sausages with just salt and onion, then shredded and chopped the vegetables. Next I heat my frozen pitta bread a bit to make it pliable so I can fold. The shredded vegetables are mixed with generous amounts of ketchup and mayonnaise or salad cream and my pepper sauce (Add as much as you'll like to taste). The bread is cut open, I scoop some of the mixed vegetables onto one, top with the shredded chicken and sausages and the roll it up firmly before placing in a hot sandwich maker after five minutes or when light turns green, my delicious shawarma is ready.

TIP:
Do not lock the microwave as that might cause the shawarma to burst and become messy as seen in one of the pics here. Just place the lid on the shawarma and let the heat get in gradually.

No comments:

Post a Comment